WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:14 pm 

I was thinking either naming a proposed Theater District theater after her or maybe The new central library. Both are fitting.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:50 pm 

Whatever it is, it should be major and well-thoughtout!

Quote:
I was thinking either naming a proposed Theater District theater after her or maybe The new central library. Both are fitting.

Certainly, a major PAC if perhaps one replaces the Stevens Center. I wonder if the so-called new library is good enough for such a major force. If it were the new building EVERYONE wanted, but a renovation - maybe not good enough.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:28 pm 

I've thought about this for much of the day. I love the library idea. That is very fitting. It would be great if some type of museum could open downtown, maybe as a separate wing of the proposed National Black Theatre Hall of Fame? She donated several items to Wake Forest University that could be loaned for display. A statue is also a good idea. Imagine it at Bailey Park. Maybe as part of a fountain? Maybe a statue or sculpture (doesn't have to be a statue, but could be a great work of art based on her work) at the library or a sculpture or statue in the lobby of the library, possibly with an exhibit, if a statue is selected? We really need more statues of our greatest citizens in this city. I would like to see something big at the Hall of Fame or in an outdoor park downtown that will be seen by more than just locals or students on a campus. Naming the amphitheatre at Civic Plaza after her is another good idea. There are several things named for her though. It would be nice to have a small museum, a statue or something sculptural. A "separate" museum included in the National Black Theatre Hall of Fame would likely be the best idea, in my opinion. That museum would help her to continue inspiring people.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:59 am 

As she is best known as a poet and author, naming the library in her honor seems fitting to me. Agree however that something "grander" may be called for. A dedicated museum, that should include the suggested sculptures and or statues, would also be appropriate and would serve as a destination and further source of inspiration for many.