WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Main Street Master Plan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:28 am 

A boutique hotel with apartments, repurposed courthouse w/ apts and retail, a Cycling Center (Liberty and Main).

What plan would you draw up to guide further development on Main Street. What would you do to attract more street activity?

-2-way with bike lanes?
-add commercial space to the ground floor of Winston Tower?
-Does 8 W. 3rd deserve a better use?

What would you like to see here?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:21 pm 

I think at some point, 8 West Third and the O'Hanlons Building will likely become apartments or condos. We should bring this up to Clachan and PMC Property Group. I would love to see an accurate restoration of both. The best stretch of the street is across the street from a massive parking lot collection, owned by Reynolds. Those parking lots need to be developed with offices, retail spaces, a public space (small courtyard park area) and residential. Another change we need to see is adding doors to the facade of One West Fourth. It actually has restaurant/retail spaces inside! People don't know this, because it was so poorly designed. You have to go inside to access these spaces. Add places for signage on the facade and add doors leading directly from the sidewalk to the stores, without entering the lobby. I agree 100% with trying to build-out the base of Winston Tower and add storefronts. It's also important to have one lane in each direction, streetscape upgrades (to match Fourth Street) and bike lanes, if we want to bring this street back. Keep the streetside parking with the streetscape updates.

One of Brian's photographs was used: http://www.lifeissuite.com/2014/05/hello-winston-salem

Do they know BB&T is also headquartered in Winston-Salem? The building's address is now 51 East Fourth Street and its owner is shown as being in Philadelphia. A nice reminder this is on the Innovation Quarter side of downtown (East End).

What happened to the Cycling Center? They still haven't bought the property and we've heard nothing about it since the Cycling Classic?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:34 pm 

Yep...another one of my photos of Winston used to promote the city :cheers:

I was back in Winston last week to visit the family (they are still here until the house sells .... whenever that is :? ). Took some time to visit the downtown area when RibFest was going on, the Dash were playing a weekend series and the Gallery Hop going on. Still looks like a vibrant city in the evening but the dearth of retail along the city streets is still depressing especially with all of those storefronts on Liberty. But is still a great town with some great people living within it. Just a reminder of what I gave up by moving to Canada.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:47 pm 

ncbrian wrote:
Just a reminder of what I gave up by moving to Canada.

It's worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:15 pm 

One West Fourth still should have ground floor retail and restaurants, with awnings. I hope Kimpton will not block that magnificent brass grillwork on the Reynolds Building entrance with an awning. Fourth and Fifth have been returned to two way, so why not Main St? It only limits circulation in the center city.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:01 pm 

Awnings may help draw attention, but I think all One West Fourth needs are doors leading directly from the sidewalks to the stores and clearly visible signs. No one knows there are restaurants/stores in that building, because you have to go inside to access them and there are no clearly visible signs outside. Severe design flaw. Clear-out some landscaping, expand the sidewalk to the building, and add doors and signage.

Experts seem to agree that downtowns need 20,000 residents to attract retail. The company promoting the power plant said Bailey Power Plant is within walking distance of 15,000 residences? I seem to remember a university report in 2013 that said we had 19,557 residents downtown. I'm guessing we are close?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:17 pm 

We'll know we're there when a true and full-size supermarket opens downtown.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:31 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
We'll know we're there when a true and full-size supermarket opens downtown.

Tru dat !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:02 pm 

Amen. Developers, don't forget the huge lot on the Southwest side of Holly and Broad, extending behind West End Village to Fourth. It would be a perfect location for a supermarket!