WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:59 pm 

I've always admired the knowledge and experience that many in this forum possess regarding architectural design and development. With that in mind, there's a brand new book out called "Winston-Salem's Architectural Heritage" (written by Heather Fearnbach). It has tons of photos from Winston's past and features many of the prominent locations and building styles that are celebrated here on the forum (both past and present structures). Anyway, I got take a quick peek at the book, and it appears to be a pretty epic journey. I snapped a quick photo of it and the author's presentation schedule. Thought I'd pass it along:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/2lens/shares/9q85Sq

Looks like it can be ordered here ($40 for a couple more days): http://www.cityofws.org/departments/pla ... l-heritage

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:09 pm 

This great new book can be purchased at Twin City Hive, located at 301 Brookstown Ave. (at the corner of Brookstown Ave. and Cherry St., across from The Brookstown Inn). I just picked one up. Wow! Just incredible!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:35 am 

Placing this post here in the effort to keep multi-posts to a minimum. The Camel City came out pretty well with awards from the 2015 Building North Carolina Awards, administered by the NCAIA. :tup:

Best Renovation goes to the Herbalife project.
Honorable Mentions received by 751 W. Fourth & Center for Design Innovation

http://www.businessnc.com/articles/2015 ... -category/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:58 pm 

Richard Craver is reporting in the Journal the story of the destruction of a memorable piece of Camel City history. :evil: I'm a little surprised that the new owner's position is that the home was too far gone for a remodeling to be done at a reasonable cost. Previous owner Libba Evans' husband is (or perhaps was) Jim Lambie, a former president of Integon Insurance. Surely, they would have had the wherewithal to maintain the home to an acceptable standard. The article has a gallery of photos of both the inside & outside of the property. If you don't have a WSJ subscription you can log on through Incognito status, & viewed the article that way.

The new owner's attorney has a "Trumpian" way with language in that the reason they bought the house & tore it down was "because they don't want (redevelopment) to change the neighborhood" :huh: Plans seem to indicate that either one or two houses will be built on the 2 plus acre site. The house had quite the pedigree, being the first to be constructed in Reynolda Park, for the mother of Katherine Reynolds' second husband. Subsequent owners included the Norfleets, an old line Winston family, as well as Frank Horton & his mother Theo Liipfert Horton Taliaferro, the co-founders of MESDA. In fact, the house was briefly considered as a location for the museum before it was determined that it was unworkable due to insufficient space.

This gets a :tdown:

http://journalnow.com/news/local/piece- ... -top-story

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:02 pm 

I’m not sure the Lambie’s house is the same house lived in by Horton and Mrs. Taliaferro? I thought that house was lived in by the Babcocks at one time? I would have to do some research, but photos I have seen of the Horton House was full two story, and the street front of the demolished house was one and half storey. Perhaps the Possum has info in his arsenal? I may be wrong.... all I’m sure of is that that house was not all that on the interior, save the marble floor in the entrance hall. The floor plan was erratic, the rooms small, and unimpressive for the amount of square footage. Although the grounds were immaculately maintained, filled with the Lambie’s collection of modern sculptures, the outdated poolhouse was extremely unattractive, and in constant need of frepair. A friend of mine used to occupy the adjoining cottage at the Coliseum/Reynolda corner and manage their affairs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:23 pm 

I got the Horton connection from Craver’s article but you’re right regarding the Babcock lineage. I had forgotten that I was told that Betsy Babcock lived there, not sure if it was her residence at the she passed away in 2001. I often assumed the outdoor art was from when she lived there.

Cape Cods are of a design that aren’t really flexible for today’s living so I can understand that it may have been functionally obsolete, but I still feel it’s a loss. Hopefully the replacement homes will be mansion like in presentation.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:43 pm 

After reviewing my copy of the MESDA Journal summer 2001, which is a biography about the life and times of Frank Horton and his family, there is a photo of 1701 Reynolda Road on page 66, and it shows a two-storey Colonial Revival, with wings. I have come to the conclusion that that front of the house faced the Galloway house on Arbor Road, (poolhouse side). The front we are accustomed to with second storey dormers faced Reynolda Road. Nevertheless, I hope the replacement is pleasing and appropriate as well. I rather like the 80s era faux tabby French style down the street toward Kent Road built by the former RJR exec. Reynolda Park & Buena Vista are about Georgian’d to death.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:04 pm 

More evidence that Winston-Salem has North Carolina's best architecture ..... the best from every century, every style, and by the most notable designers and architects. This magnificent property designed by Bobby McAlpine on the Womble/Hanes compound off Shattalon Drive is up for sale. Masterful, and meticulously arranged and maintained.

https://www.hodgesrealty.com/idx/listin ... search_amp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:51 pm 

Isn't this the home of the owners of Mercedes Benz of WS, last name Neal?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:23 pm 

I received an email from Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership titled: Informational Meeting for Proposed Downtown Winston-Salem Historical District. "The Commonwealth Preservation Group is conducting an Information Session on a Proposed Downtown Winston-Salem National Historic District. If you have questions, you can contact them directly at admin@commonwealthpreservationgroup.com or by phone at (757) 923-1900"