WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Salem Ideas?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:47 am 

Has anyone thought of attempting to list Old Salem on the UNESCO World Heritage Sites list? It could provide some money to Old Salem and additional international tourism for the city?

What are the good and bad sides of being on the World Heritage Sites list? Would it prevent Old Salem from reconstructing buildings/houses in the future? Someone needs to reconstruct the "original" building that once stood at Main and Academy streets. That is a big open area on the square that needs to be filled!

Would it impact downtown? Would they place some type of limit on downtown construction, since it's seen in the background, or would the restrictions be limited to the Old Salem district?

Would this limit construction or stop construction at Salem College? Could they build new structures, as long as those structures match the older buildings in Old Salem?

Could Old Salem, as a World Heritage Site, receive money from the World Heritage Fund for anything and if so, what?

It would be interesting to explore this idea. I see newer buildings around Philadelphia's Independence Hall, which is on the list.

Post subject: Re: Old Salem Ideas?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:38 am 

I don't know about the logistics or constraints involved with your idea, but I have no doubt Old Salem should qualify. I continue to read, with amazement, about the ingenuity and craftiness of the Moravians. Many of the early Moravian leaders were not only industrious, ambitious, foward-thinking, or simply spiritual in thought, but many like Gottlieb Schober or the bricklayer Johann Krause were charismatic in nature, temperamental, and characters of their time, and very interesting to read about in their dealings with church elders.

Monticello and UVA's lawn are listed....Jefferson was a genius.

I will say that I am working on an idea, as we speak, that involves Old Salem and a potential licensing deal. I hesitate to share it for fear someone might beat me to the draw. There is a staggering motherload of design in art, furniture, architecture, civic design, and recorded history that connects the Moravians to North Carolina and America. A lot of it goes overlooked and is taken for granted.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:58 am 

wsnc62 wrote:
I don't know about the logistics or constraints involved with your idea, but I have no doubt Old Salem should qualify. I continue to read, with amazement, about the ingenuity and craftiness of the Moravians. Many of the early Moravian leaders were not only industrious, ambitious, foward-thinking, or simply spiritual in thought, but many like Gottlieb Schober or the bricklayer Johann Krause were charismatic in nature, temperamental, and characters of their time, and very interesting to read about in their dealings with church elders.

Monticello and UVA's lawn are listed....Jefferson was a genius.

I will say that I am working on an idea, as we speak, that involves Old Salem and a potential licensing deal. I hesitate to share it for fear someone might beat me to the draw. There is a staggering motherload of design in art, furniture, architecture, civic design, and recorded history that connects the Moravians to North Carolina and America. A lot of it goes overlooked and is taken for granted.

Speaking of Jefferson...has anyone ever seen Poplar Forest in Lynchburg? It was Jefferson's plantation home built in the early 1800s; it's octagonal design with side porticos makes it very unique and the restoration is beautiful. I had never heard of it until I took a tour a couple of years ago...it's well worth it if you're ever up that way. The house is a bit smaller than Monticello, but more impressive in my opinion. ;)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pop ... ajaxhist=0

The brick outhouses were very luxurious for the time

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:10 am 

I lived very near to Poplar Forest in high school. It was an abandoned wreck at the time. Great to see it finally restored!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:22 am 

TarheelJ wrote:
wsnc62 wrote:
The brick outhouses were very luxurious for the time

Now that's an impressive crapper! :tup: