WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Neon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:48 am 

Does anyone think neon would look good lining the canopy of Washington Perk? I think it would look great, but I may be in the minority. If I knew how to photoshop or whatever, I would try to simulate how it would look. I know the owner and suggested it and he liked the idea and mentioned there may be less expensive LED neon rope that may look good as well.

Post subject: Re: Neon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:06 pm 

This is a horrible picture, but this is the idea.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:36 pm 

As regular readers of this forum know, no one loves neon more than I.

I think it would look great just about anywhere downtown . . . but I absolutely loathe that LED rope stuff.
No one loathes it more than I.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:46 pm 

I can't recall seeing LED rope, although I'm sure I have. So sounds like it's better to have nothing than LED.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:29 pm 

Native Camel wrote:
I can't recall seeing LED rope, although I'm sure I have. So sounds like it's better to have nothing than LED.

It's the vinyl siding of illuminated signage.
I think it just looks cheap - especially up-close.

I'd like to see neon enhance the Sawtooth Center's signature roofline - also the roofline of Bib's on Spring St.
As I've mentioned before, a giant Texas Pete with an animated lasso next to TW Garner's Fourth St. HQ would become an instant landmark.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:40 pm 

Quote:
Does anyone think neon would look good lining the canopy of Washington Perk? I think it would look great,
Me too!

Quote:
I'd like to see neon enhance the Sawtooth Center's signature roofline
Outstanding idea! And a heap of other spaces - my first choice is a neon of the Texas Pete logo at that site.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:39 pm 

Yes to the idea of neon on the Washington Perk canopy!! I like the picture suggestion you posted Native Camel. I have to agree that LED rope neon is a pass, it doesn't look good up close. Lighting up the Sawtooth roof would be very eye catching!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:39 am 

Does anyone recall the neon or fluorescent lights that ran along the edges of the dome of the Wachovia/Pelli building when they first started lighting it? They quit using those particular lights not long after that for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:51 am 

How about the Hotel USA sign?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:06 am 

yadkinv wrote:
How about the Hotel USA sign?

Wasn't it a large American flag mounted on the roof?
I've heard about it, but it was gone by the time I got here and I've never been able to locate a photo.
I miss that building! (713 N. Trade)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:21 am 

It was larger than large - enormous on the roof and could be seen at a long distance. I believe it was there in the 40s & 50s at least and at that time that area was (I'm told) a somewhat seedy area (red light district of sorts). At sometime and by what legal means, I'm not sure, the hotel was forced to remove the sign because (maybe) the flag could not be used as advertisement - not sure.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:29 am 

yadkinv wrote:
It was larger than large - enormous on the roof and could be seen at a long distance. I believe it was there in the 40s & 50s at least and at that time that area was (I'm told) a somewhat seedy area (red light district of sorts). At sometime and by what legal means, I'm not sure, the hotel was forced to remove the sign because (maybe) the flag could not be used as advertisement - not sure.

The 1971 city ordinance banned rooftop signs. If the flag was still there at that time, it would have been removed to comply with the new regulations.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:33 am 

I'm with you Possum, that building ranks as one of the bigger losses downtown. :tdown:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:24 pm 

zalo wrote:
I'm with you Possum, that building ranks as one of the bigger losses downtown. :tdown:

I remember it from 1985-'88 -ish.
Two friends ran an antique store/party den is the bay at left . . . and artist's studio was in the bay at right.
Various other artists & service workers lived in apartments on the upper two floors. It was a vibrant, low-rent bohemia - just what the Arts District was intended to be at its inception.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:40 pm 

Quote:
he 1971 city ordinance banned rooftop signs. If the flag was still there at that time, it would have been removed to comply with the new regulations.

I am 99.7169 percent sure it was removed in the late 50s and no later than the early to mid-60s. I recall reading something about a lawsuit because it was using the U.S. Flag improperly, but can't seem to find any reference to it. Shouldn't the historian chap at the library know?