WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Neon
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:59 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
Quote:
he 1971 city ordinance banned rooftop signs. If the flag was still there at that time, it would have been removed to comply with the new regulations.

I am 99.7169 percent sure it was removed in the late 50s and no later than the early to mid-60s. I recall reading something about a lawsuit because it was using the U.S. Flag improperly, but can't seem to find any reference to it. Shouldn't the historian chap at the library know?

Fam Brownlee knows all, as he will not hesitate to remind you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:04 pm 

Native Camel wrote:
Does anyone recall the neon or fluorescent lights that ran along the edges of the dome of the Wachovia/Pelli building when they first started lighting it? They quit using those particular lights not long after that for some reason.

Yes, I do remember that. I was telling someone about that the other day and they could not remember it. Approaching downtown from Cherry Street, you could see those neon lights on the Wachovia Building and the flashing, multi color neon lights, on the GMAC Building. Those two buildings at that time, made Winston look really nice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:50 am 

The dome outline was acrylic fiber optic cables with 60 watt bulbs at the ends. Fiber optics was very high tech in the 1990s. I can remember seasonal decorations and different items for home decorating that used color-changing fiber optic lighting back then. I don't see much of that today. It's interesting to see this posted, because I was looking at recent photographs of it and it appears as if parts or maybe all of the fiber optic lighting wasn't on. Maybe it's difficult to change the bulbs or it's an effort to cut some of the lighting cost? I've often guessed it's just average 60 watt incandescent bulbs, but maybe it's a specialty bulb to light the cables and it's not available anymore or is custom made (expensive and/or special order) for the dome lighting? If so, maybe it is time to convert to LED... and maybe it's an expensive conversion the owner would rather not do? The conversion would allow them to light the building in different colors for special occasions/events or community organizations.

In my opinion, it seems as if many of Cesar Pelli's Post Modern buildings look better at night, due to the quality lighting designs. His buildings usually have the best lighting. If you think they look amazing during the day, see them from a distance at night. This is one of them. It appears taller and has the look of an Art Deco high-rise, from a distance at night, with all of the lights on. Interestingly, it also seems to be difficult to accurately capture the amazing lighting with a camera. It's best experienced in person. Yes, I tried to photograph it from a hotel once and bracketed. It's best seen in person and often best experienced at a distance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:53 pm 

I agree with your assessment of the attractiveness of the Wells Fargo Tower at night and I had not picked up on the Art Deco design inference but I can now definitely see what you mean. All dildo references aside, I still view the building as one of the most iconic and striking buildings not only in the state but the SE if not the nation. I unfortunately think that any kind of retrofitting the lighting will be a low priority to the owners but the ability to change out the lighting for different occasions would be a great touch!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:00 am 

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but Montreal is one of my favorite cities in the world and here are 6 photo's from their instagram account that show how they use LED lighting around the city: https://www.instagram.com/p/B--0xOqJcZk/