WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:35 pm 

The tower crane base was installed at the site of Link 4th Street today!!! We will see a tower crane on the skyline soon!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:47 pm 

I'm very excited about another crane on the skyline! The top of the 601 West Fourth Parking Deck is the staging location and the crane will move materials from the top of the deck to the site. With that short stretch of Poplar Street closed until January 2022, I'm sure they will also unload trucks by crane on the closed section of Poplar.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGVBooAAeDB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:14 am 

Could we gest some of the renderings of what these apartments will look like?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:42 am 

Fourth and Main wrote:
This forum needs something big to discuss...

Of course I have renderings of something big!

Link Apartments 4th Street:
A WSTB Exclusive! This is the final rendering for this project. It is so much better than the rendering we previously discussed in this thread, last Summer! The new design has a pop of color, with yellow accents, and features a lighted fin, rising the full height of the building and rising above the cornice. This gives the building a little more height! It has lights outlining the southeastern corner balconies and around the cornice and part of the parapet, which should help it stand-out on the skyline at night. I also see up-lighting and interesting design details. Notice the amenity balcony on the top floor. Both this project and their Innovation Quarter project are among the best new wood-frame 'mid-rise' apartment buildings I've seen in any city. Grubb Properties is really adding nice structures to downtown. These are better than their other Link projects in other cities! First move-ins are scheduled for August 2020 and completion is set for December 2020, if the project stays on schedule. I think that schedule has the developer pulling demolition permits this month for the former Security Life & Trust Building?

WSTB Exclusive: Updated Renderings and Project Details

Compare this design to other similar new wood-frame buildings in other cities, nationwide. They should consider adding a spire, with a Streamline Moderne base, to the top of their lighted fin. Don't forget: The developer is contributing money for public art at the leasing office entrance to this building. We could see a $40,000 sculpture, themed around the history of this site.

This is the last rendering I'm aware of....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:55 am 

I'm impressed, those look very nice and they will definitely add something special to Fourth Street! It's hard to imagine how it's going to look on Fourth Street.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:55 pm 

While I’m overjoyed to have that space filled in, I just hate this style of cookie-cutter construction. It has the virtue of good livability with plentiful balconies and windows. But the off-the-shelf feel makes it a homogenizing influence in the center of downtown where we could have had something with signature flair. Pending seeing it out of the ground, I’m keeping my overall rating at a 6 for this project.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:57 am 

walker wrote:
While I’m overjoyed to have that space filled in, I just hate this style of cookie-cutter construction. It has the virtue of good livability with plentiful balconies and windows. But the off-the-shelf feel makes it a homogenizing influence in the center of downtown where we could have had something with signature flair. Pending seeing it out of the ground, I’m keeping my overall rating at a 6 for this project.

I’m in complete agreement :good:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:40 am 

The tower crane is going up TODAY!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:25 pm 

dtws wrote:
The tower crane is going up TODAY!

Can we get someone to take pics throughout construction? We rarely get pic updates on projects here

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:19 am 

I'm very excited about the crane! It's a tower crane, too! Thank you for telling me about it, so I could visit a webcamera that showed the crane. It's tall enough to appear on the skyline. I think these cranes are 110 feet / 33.5 metres in height? Of course the best views are from 500 West 5th.

Videos and stills from the photographer above:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG3Gwmcj_SK

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG27k0mj0sP

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG2agxjD6GX

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG2YYVnD-WP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:04 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:12 am 

Thank you for the update! That is the best view I've seen of the new tower crane. It's great to see they found a way to use a tower crane without concern of it hitting 500 West 5th in a hurricane or wind storm or an accident. It appears to clear the building a full 360 degrees in that photograph. Thank you again!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:40 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:04 pm 

From Winston Watchman:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:35 am 

Building the concrete form to pour the second floor? Very exciting! I'm guessing it's already an improvement to see something rising on that site? Thank you for the update.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next