WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:43 am 

That's what this group hopes to do. Founder and NC State grad, Benjamin Greene is working on The Farmery, an urban farm/grocery/cafe concept. This idea is to provide fresh produce at an enclosed pick-your-own farm site. The vegetables would be grown on site, and sold in a grocery store and a cafe. The group currently has temporary shops in downtown Raleigh and the American Tobacco district in Durham. They hope to have their first permanent shop open next Spring.
...Ultimately, Greene and his team want to build these Farmery stores in cities across the U.S.: Charlotte, Richmond, Raleigh, Winston-Salem, and possibly a city in the San Francisco Bay Area.

read more:
http://grist.org/food/local-to-the-extr ... ery-store/

Wouldnt the retail portion of Plant 64 be a perfect fit? The layout and square footage is almost identical to their needs. I'm assuming they'd rather build new though?

[youtube]EktAl72sIQ8[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:55 am 

Wow, really cool and exciting way to attach the need for fresh food in urban spaces but also a new way to grow food in a small space and to make it readily available. I think this would be best located between the Arts District and the research park. Maybe Liberty Street.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:04 am 

Very interesting concept but the devil's in the details. Locavores might like it if the can be assured of the healthiness of food grown in used shipping containers. But the concept doesn't resonate with the 'new agriculture' ideas of restoring small and local farms to the economic ecosystem.
Also I'd question the business model. Very hard for small-scale hydroponics to compete on price for truck farming. Herbs, maybe but that's a tiny niche.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:08 pm 

walker wrote:
Very interesting concept but the devil's in the details. Locavores might like it if the can be assured of the healthiness of food grown in used shipping containers. But the concept doesn't resonate with the 'new agriculture' ideas of restoring small and local farms to the economic ecosystem.
Also I'd question the business model. Very hard for small-scale hydroponics to compete on price for truck farming. Herbs, maybe but that's a tiny niche.

Well said. Also I pulled this from the article listed above. Bold print emphasis mine: "That’s the dream. Challenges, however, remain. For starters, there’s the price tag: Greene estimates he’ll need between $2 and $3 million to cover construction and operating costs and equipment such as refrigerators, the Living River Growing Systems, and the shipping containers."

Some concepts execute better on paper.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:19 pm 

zalo wrote:
Bold print emphasis mine: "That’s the dream. Challenges, however, remain. For starters, there’s the price tag: Greene estimates he’ll need between $2 and $3 million to cover construction and operating costs and equipment such as refrigerators, the Living River Growing Systems, and the shipping containers."

Who can't relate . . . right? I'm sure we all have a vision we could realize were we sitting on a couple of million. He sounds like a well-meaning lad . . . I hope that someday his hard work, patience and frugality will earn him the capital he needs to make all his dreams come true.

I'd hate to see him end up just another hippie with his hand out . . . lord knows we don't need any more of them around here.